Moncton is facing growing backlash for not allowing the Menorah to be set up outside City Hall this year.
The Moncton Jewish Community was informed of the city’s decision to end the 20-year tradition last week.
President Francis Weil said in a news release that it is unfair and profoundly hurts the city’s Jewish population.
“It is unfair because the Chanukah Menorah is, for Jews, a symbol of being accepted,” said Weil.
“In a world where antisemitism has been too often present (and continue to grow), this acceptance is important.”
City staff cited a 2015 Supreme Court decision to ban religious prayers at municipal council meetings as the reason for no longer allowing the Menorah, he said.
While the Menorah will not be allowed outside City Hall, Weil said the Christmas tree and angels remain.
“The Jewish Community is happy that the tree and the angels remain, but so should the Menorah,” he said.
In addition to banning the Menora, the city has also reportedly said no to having a nativity scene placed at City Hall.
Weil said they hope Moncton City Council, which is set to meet later on Monday, will reverse the city’s decision.
Two councillors — Bryan Butler and Dave Steeves — took to social media over the weekend to speak out against the decision.
An online petition to reinstate the Menorah had already garnered around 4,900 signatures as of early Monday morning.
