National

Who were the Greater Moncton Santa Claus parade winners?
Posted 6 December 2023

Who were the Greater Moncton Santa Claus parade winners?

Judges were tasked with choosing the top entries for this year’s Royale Greater Moncton Santa Claus parade, and the awards have now been handed out. There were around 50 entries for this year’s parade. The winners are: Not-for-Profit Riverview Ringette Association Codiac Vikings Aquatic...

READ MORE
MRI’s and ultrasound referrals now sent electronically in N.S. to help improve communication
Posted 6 December 2023

MRI’s and ultrasound referrals now sent electronically in N.S. to help improve communication

Primary Care providers will now send referrals for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)’s and ultrasounds, electronically. The province says physicians have been using e-referrals for MRI’s since September, with roughly 900 referrals received since; but ultrasounds were added this week. It’s in an...

READ MORE
Mixed report on theft in the city
Posted 6 December 2023

Mixed report on theft in the city

The number of break and enters and thefts under $5,000 and break and enters have fallen in Kenora over the last couple of months. Inspector Jeff Duggan says there’s a good reason why. “Break and Enters are down significantly, 20 down to 6 from the same period last year,” Duggan told the Kenora...

READ MORE
Moncton man sentenced for drug and firearm related charges
Posted 6 December 2023

Moncton man sentenced for drug and firearm related charges

A 39-year-old Moncton man will spend six years in prison after an investigation into shots fired on Weldon Street. Ryan Michael Shanks was sentenced last month after pleading guilty to 21 charges including three counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking, failure to comply with a...

READ MORE
RCMP arrest 2 after rash of Digby County break-ins
Posted 6 December 2023

RCMP arrest 2 after rash of Digby County break-ins

A couple of arrests after a series of break-ins across Digby County. A number of businesses were broken into in November, sometimes more than once. This week, RCMP arrested a 39-year old man and 31-year old woman after searching a residence in Digby. 2 loaded firearms and a lot of scratch...

READ MORE
City terminates arena expansion project contract
Posted 6 December 2023

City terminates arena expansion project contract

The expansion work on the Dryden Memorial Arena have ground to a halt. City of Dryden CAO, Roger Nesbitt says they had to terminate the contract with the company doing the work. “Staff are in the process of securing a new general contractor to pick up that work and move forward,” Nesbitt told...

READ MORE
Local sports for Wednesday, December 6th
Posted 6 December 2023

Local sports for Wednesday, December 6th

The Fort Frances Muskies boys basketball and girls volleyball teams won all four games in the start of NorWOSSA winter court sport action. The Muskies junior boys edged the Beaver Brae Broncos 50-43. It was also a close game in senior boys basketball as the Muskies got by the Broncos 57-53. In...

READ MORE
Arson charge laid following Dryden apartment fire
Posted 6 December 2023

Arson charge laid following Dryden apartment fire

A 34 year old Dryden woman faces several charges as a result of fires set in apartment. On Monday night just before midnight, the OPP and the Dryden Fire Service responded to an alarm on First Street. A resident of the adjacent apartment indicated that smoke could be seen and fire alarms could...

READ MORE
Sexual misconduct on the rise in Canadian military: Stats Can
Posted 6 December 2023

Sexual misconduct on the rise in Canadian military: Stats Can

Sexual misconduct is on the rise in the Canadian military according to Statistics Canada, despite recent ongoing efforts to change the culture.  A report of 48 recommendations was released in an external review last year by former Supreme Court Justice Louis Arbour. This includes removing...

READ MORE
COVID outbreak over at hospital
Posted 6 December 2023

COVID outbreak over at hospital

A COVID outbreak at Lake of the Woods District Hospital has been declared over. It was first reported on November 17th. The outbreak was confined to the 2-E Adult Medicine wing. Visiting hours have been restored from 11 am until 7 pm, but is restricted to two people.

READ MORE