An area resident who fell victim to a scam last month has gotten their money back.
Provincial Police says the resident transferred a sum of money, said to be five-figures, from a local bank in June to a bank in the United Kingdom after being told their computer was hacked and could be operated by remote control.
The fraudsters put the victim in contact with fake law enforcement, who provided instructions on how to send the money.
The victim notified police after making the transaction.
OPP say they worked with other agencies, including international banks and law enforcement, to flag the transaction as a fraud, preventing the fraudsters from getting access.
Early intervention allowed the wire transfer to be flagged as fraud and intercepted before the offenders could access it. On July 10, 2025, the money returned to the victim.
Police say the money was returned to the victim this week.
Acting Detective Sergeant Ryan Welsh, who is with the OPP’s Integrated Fraud Awareness and Response Initiative, says the case came to a positive outcome because the victim acted quickly and reported the fraud.
He says the people committing these often tell their victims to remain silent.
According to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, more than 9,000 people have lost $165 million in scams in the first three months of this year.
More than 36-thousand people lost $648 million in 2024.
If you think you’ve been a victim of fraud, police encourage you not to wait and contact them immediately.
You can report fraud to the OPP by calling 1-888-310-1122.
Further information on fraud awareness or how to report a fraud attempt can also be found by contacting the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre or clicking here.

