If you’ve been overcharged on your power bill, Nova Scotia Power will fix it.
That promise came from President and CEO Peter Gregg in front of a government committee Tuesday at Province House.
The utility was summoned to answer questions from the Standing Committee on Natural Resources and Economic Development about highly-estimated bills.
“To you the committee, and all Nova Scotians, my promise to you is that if we have overestimated your bill, we will fix it. If you have overpaid, we will fix it, and if we make a mistake, we will fix it,” said Gregg.
He says communications with smart meters were knocked offline in the cyber attack earlier this year.
Abou 75 percent of meters have been read, but 25 percent are going off power usage estimates.
“Restoring all systems will take time, but we’re providing flexible options for our customers, including equal billing, pay-what-you-can arrangements, and photo meter reads.”
The company currently isn’t charging late fees or interest.
He says the first meters are expected to come back online in December, with all restored by March.
Gregg adds they no longer collect Social Insurance Numbers, and they’re expecting to be caught up on payments to suppliers by the end of the year.
Cyber attack update
Gregg also provided an update on the cyber attack, which compromised the personal information of hundreds of thousands of customers.
The company believes the attack was caused by a Russian-based threat actor.
“While we have made significant investments in cyber security, these types of threats are challenging for many organizations worldwide. We’ve learned important lessons from this attack, we’ve evolved IT security, upgraded online customer account portal and financial assistance.”
Gregg says they understand the ongoing challenges related to billing, and they’re working diligently to resolve them.

